Friday, July 8, 2011

Walk This Way: Part V (Lift This Way)


While there is tremendous evidence stating that women will never get "bulky" by lifting extremely heavy weights, many women fear weight-rooms in the gym.  Ready for a quick test...(by the way, both these women have the exact same body frame, just treated in two different manners).
It's no more complicated than this.  Simply put; which female would you rather look like?  Anyone that would like to resemble the right can and should stop reading now.  For the rest of you ladies, keep on...


Second question; how many of you ladies can successfully do this?  Neither can I.  But that doesn't mean I don't have the capacity.  By the way, these are all women who train at a CrossFit gym in Orange County (site and great article on female strength-training, here).


All my new best friends now.  That's right...bumper plates, bands and kettlebells.  Don't know what any of these are either?  Fear not.


 Learn how to truly re-shape your physique and get really strong...
(more after the jump)





Again, I am not here to preach to you or claim to have all the answers.  But I do find the visual evidence in favor of weightlifting far more persuasive than runway models, really.  We all have the same goals: tight butt, legs that don't jiggle and abs that warrant fitted tank tops.  None of this can happen without lifting weights, ladies.  Plus, you can even prevent most injuries (and reverse some) by strengthening your body.


After doing this on my own for years (well, not this...she's bomb!...imagine this without the weight...that's me), I have found a gym with the same attitude towards women and strength-training (LA area, check out Dogtown CrossFit, here).  Still not with me?  Check out this article.  It spells it out a little more aggressively than me.


So just remember, while I may not be able to do a pull-up by myself...or a 24-inch jump onto a box...or squat 165 pounds (like Ilana, above)...or use anything larger than the baby baby kettlebell, I'm not afraid to start at the bottom.  Can't get the hard body without the hard work.
Happy lifting, ladies!

No comments: